www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Fabio Lahr <fl...@idgsp.idg.com.br>
Subject general/4651: kernel panic running 32 or more copies of ApacheBench
Date Fri, 25 Jun 1999 15:24:58 GMT

>Number:         4651
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       kernel panic running 32 or more copies of ApacheBench
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
xserverfatalbug
On Mac OS X
When 32 or more copies of ApacheBench (ab) are pointed at a CGI script on a website running
on Apache/Mac OS X Server machine, the kernel will panic, usually within 30-60 seconds, forcing
a reboot.
In the test, c't directed 32 copies of ApacheBench at the "test-cgi" script which is in /Local/Library/WebServer/CGI-Executables/.
By default, the script is not executable. You must 'chmod +x test-cgi' for it to work. However,
this could probably happen with any script, though tests of that sort were not published.

I actually tested this on my Blue G3/400 running MOSXS and did get a kernel panic. I got essentially
the same results whether launching the attack from the same machine that the webserver itself
is on, or launching the attack from a linux machine on the same network. Incidentally, I ran
this same test again a Red Hat Linux 5.1 (2.0.34 kernel) box, which did not experience any
problems during the "attack."
>How-To-Repeat:
http://www.macnn.com/reports/xserverfatalbug.shtml
Has info on it
>Fix:
No but it seems to be related to Apache running on MOSX