www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Eldar Musayev <El...@ibm.net>
Subject os-windows/4628: Older DOS-based (16-bit) CGI programs eat memory and eventually fail to execute
Date Tue, 22 Jun 1999 17:05:00 GMT

>Number:         4628
>Category:       os-windows
>Synopsis:       Older DOS-based (16-bit) CGI programs eat memory and eventually fail to
execute
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
I did not had 32-bit CGI program at hand to test, so it may be true
for them too.
May be related only to some particular
environment/configuration on Windows NT.
Right after server started CGI programs run, but add memory used
(probably by a child process, it grows with each use). Eventually
memory usage grows to limits when it became impossible to spawn
child process.
>How-To-Repeat:
Place DOS based CGI program (I used one compiler with old Turbo C 2.0)
on the server. Open Task Manager and go to processes. You'll see
one apache.exe using about 50K. Browse to CGI program, you will
see new Apache.exe which will become fatter and fatter with each
CGI call. Soon server will start to respond "Server configuration error..."
with a notice in job log:
"[Tue Jun 22 11:32:44 1999] [error] [client 127.0.0.1]
(2)No such file or directory: couldn't spawn child process:
c:/apache/cgi-bin/cech.exe"
>Fix:
No yet...