www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From uriah queen <ur...@ifu.net>
Subject os-linux/4607: httpd silently dies and progressivly gets worse.
Date Fri, 18 Jun 1999 15:38:19 GMT

>Number:         4607
>Category:       os-linux
>Synopsis:       httpd silently dies and progressivly gets worse.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Release:        1.3.6
>Environment:
Linux version 2.2.9-ac3 (gcc version egcs-2.90.29 980515 (egcs-1.0.3 release))
cpu : Alpha (EV56)
libc-2.0.7
Server version: Apache/1.3.6 (Unix)
Compiled-in modules:
  http_core.c
  mod_env.c
  mod_log_config.c
  mod_mime_magic.c
  mod_mime.c
  mod_negotiation.c
  mod_status.c
  mod_include.c
  mod_autoindex.c
  mod_dir.c
  mod_cgi.c
  mod_asis.c
  mod_imap.c
  mod_actions.c
  mod_userdir.c
  mod_alias.c
  mod_rewrite.c
  mod_access.c
  mod_auth.c
  mod_auth_dbm.c
  mod_auth_db.c
  mod_unique_id.c
  mod_setenvif.c

RedHat 5.2 with all system patches.
A little bit ago we ordered 2 Alpha machines, preconfigured with RedHat 5.2.
Proceded to wipe one clean and install RH6.0 on one, noticed all the 'problems'
with that disto and proceded to migrate web sites on to the other (RH5.2) box.
After about a week of running apache (+mod_perl + mod_ssl + mod_mysql_auth) the
children would zombie out and the parent would hang there refusing to clean up.
No discernable messages were left in the logs, even after it was set for debug
level. Personaly redid the first box and moved sites to it in hopes that
something was misconfigured with the preconfigured box. Got the same problems.
Proceded to remove modules until just the list above (no third party modules)
and it still behaves flaky.  The only difference between the two boxes is that
on the first one the children would zombie out and the parent trying ot fix
whats wrong would jump the load up.  The second box the parent would die leaving
all of its children behind to slowly die away.  Either way its a no win situation.

All error messages beside "file not found":

(32)Broken pipe: client stopped connection before send mmap completed
[notice] child pid 17962 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)

(
 the segfaulted child leaves no core dump nor does it spit any info to syslog.
 by the apache error log it occurs roughly 40min befor apache is completely
 dead.
)
>How-To-Repeat:
Use a DEC Alpha 21164a with Redhat 5.2.