www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Robert Shaver <r39...@email.sps.mot.com>
Subject general/4552: Enhancement Request - Ability to publish document in a single file.
Date Wed, 09 Jun 1999 22:22:27 GMT

>Number:         4552
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       Enhancement Request - Ability to publish document in a single file.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
WHAT: I would like to have the capability of publishing a document (or even a complete
web site) in a single file.

WHY: More and more, here at Motorola, we are using the web to place our documentation
on-line. The most common format is MS Word documents (*.doc). But many people have
different versions of Word and find they can't read them. I want a server that can
take a single file which encapsolates all the elements that make up a single document;
the HTML files, image files, sound files, shockwave files, whatever is needed. Then
I can put this single file under configuration management and I can upload a single file
to the server. It just makes life so much easier.

We use Lotus Notes/Domino for some of our web development. With Domino you create
a single database and it is an entire site. It makes it easy to copy the file to
another server in a single operation.
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
HOW: I suggest that it might be simple to add code to the server so that it could
read a tar file like a mounted directory system. Then a document (or site) could
be tared up and placed in the server directory as a single file. The concept is
simple. I don't know what the ramifications might be to make it effecient.

HOPE: If many servers had this capability then we might see tools for web publishing
that stored their results into tar files by default. I'd love to have a workd processor
that acted like a word processor and not a web page layout tool. It should use
templates, cascading style sheets, generate a table of contents and index, do spelling
checks, have a vector based graphics editor for diagrams, etc.

Has anyone suggested anything like this before?