www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Vincent_Kuo/Sercomm%SERC...@sercomm.com.tw
Subject Re: general/4503: It won't send any authentication request to the client browser when I use IE5.0.
Date Tue, 08 Jun 1999 05:30:02 GMT
The following reply was made to PR general/4503; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Vincent_Kuo/Sercomm%SERCOMM@sercomm.com.tw
To: apbugs@hyperreal.org,
	apache-bugdb@apache.org
Cc: <apbugs@Apache.Org>
Subject: Re: general/4503: It won't send any authentication request to the client
 browser when I use IE5.0.
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 05:30:18 GMT

      I think it's not clear enough in my PR post after I read the others PR
 report. So I add some details here, hoping it helps you to verify it.
 Thanks.

      ** /etc/httpd/conf/srm.conf **
      DocumentRoot        /home/httpd/html
      DirectoryIndex      main/index.html           (It means the default
 page is in /home/httpd/main/index.html. Is that right?
      ** /home/httpd/html/main/.htaccess **
      AuthGroupFile       .htgroup
      AuthName       ApacheServer
      AuthType       Basic
      <Limit GET>
      require             user admin
      </Limit>

      And I still have some other web pages in the /home/httpd/html
 directory. They are accessible for all of the users. If the user want to
 access the web page which is under the /home/httpd/html/main directory, he
 must pass the security check with user name (admin) and password.
      The IP address is 192.168.0.55. (for example) My problem is:
      192.168.0.55/welcome.htm, 192.168.0.55/request.pl works OK.
      192.168.0.55/main/index.html  will appear the Authorization pop up
 box, it's OK.
      But: 192.168.0.55   will appear "(401) Authorization Required ..." in
 my browser. Whatever I tried in srm.conf and the index.html location, it
 still appear this message. It only happen in "IE5.0".         THIS IS MY
 PROBLEM!
      I ever tried to set DocumentRoot "/home/httpd/html" and DirectoryIndex
 "index.html" (/home/httpd/html/index.html) and others doesn't change. The
 index.html will modify to access the files which are in the main directory.
 This can solve the problem a little bit, but the contents of the index.html
 will display in my browser first then pop up the Authorization pop up box.
 I don't want that, it should leave the browser clear until I pass the
 security check. And this will appear another problem: I can try the
 password "Twice": If I fail to login in the index.html, the next access
 will appear the Authorization pop up box again, then I can try the password
 again. (Because the index.html will access the files which are under the
 main directory and the main directory need to pass the .htaccess check.)
 It's not good.  So I need the solution. Thanks for any reply.