www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Steve Coffman <SCoff...@cbsinc.com>
Subject general/4527: If the machine running apache is not registered with DNS, the httpd startup fails, by default.
Date Fri, 04 Jun 1999 17:51:55 GMT

>Number:         4527
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       If the machine running apache is not registered with DNS, the httpd startup
fails, by default.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Release:        1.3.6
>Environment:
RedHat Linux version 6.0, Apache 1.3.6 (out of box)
uname -a gives:
Linux scoffman2 2.2.5-15 #1 Mon Apr 19 22:21:09 EDT 1999 i586 unknown
I don't expect this to be useful, but here's all the
modifications I've done since I opened the box:
I set up SAMBA 2.0.3 to use the PAM that came with RedHat via PAM_SMB-1.1-1 (via RPM)
I configured SAMBA to be within the NT domain at work.
I set up Apache to use the
A new feature has introduced a "bug" which is annoying, but able to be worked around.

When apache 1.3.6 cannot determine the host's name, it requires the ServerName
directive to be set or httpd will not start. If the reason that it couldn't be
determined is that the machine is not registered with DNS, and the reason
why it isn't in DNS is that it gets it's IP address dynamically (DHCP), then you're hosed.

The work around is to set ServerName to be the IP of the machine, but if
your IP changes every time you boot up, you can't set this correctly.
For example, I use NetBIOS to let all the other machine on my LAN know my IP every time I
startup,
so they can access my box's web and get at the web docs, web apps, and what not.
>How-To-Repeat:
Set up a box that isn't registered with DNS. Try to start it up.

If it doesn't work, see my configuration.
>Fix:
If you can't get the server's name, and the ServerName directive isn't set,
just get the Server's IP address and send that back to clients. (no not 127.*,
the real IP address should be exposed.)

If it wouldn't slow things down too much, I'd suggest responding by default to
whatever name a client used in their request, if you can't get the servername
any other way.