www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Ulrich Windl <Ulrich.Wi...@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
Subject mod_negotiation/4472: MultiViews may send sub-optimal file (matching problem)
Date Tue, 25 May 1999 06:27:50 GMT

>Number:         4472
>Category:       mod_negotiation
>Synopsis:       MultiViews may send sub-optimal file (matching problem)
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
I have two issues with content negotiation and MultiViews:
First when I have thew files `index.html' and `index.html.en' with
DefaultLanguage set to `de', the following happened: Netscape (4.51)'s
language preference had been set to "de-DE", and this did not cause
Apache to return the file for language `de'. IMHO matching `de' for
`de-DE' is better than matching for `en'.
Secondly, it seems that Multiviews does not work when the URL is
http://server.domain/, but when it is http://server.domain/index
>How-To-Repeat:
I think you can reproduce the problem easily.
>Fix:
The index file should use the MultiView algorithm as well, and
matching should prefer a `de' document for any `de-*' language
preference over other languages. Same would apply for the other direction.