www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From "Pulver, Victor" <Victor.Pul...@latimes.com>
Subject RE: mod_proxy/4415: Cache entries are unnecessarily deleted as a result of pragma: no-proxy
Date Fri, 21 May 1999 16:30:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR mod_proxy/4415; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Pulver, Victor" <Victor.Pulver@latimes.com>
To: "'apbugs@hyperreal.org'" <apbugs@hyperreal.org>,
        "'apache-bugdb@apache.org'" <apache-bugdb@Apache.Org>
Cc: "'apbugs@Apache.Org'" <apbugs@Apache.Org>
Subject: RE: mod_proxy/4415: Cache entries are unnecessarily deleted as a
	result of pragma: no-proxy
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 09:21:50 -0700

 I'd like to make an addition to the correction:

 Add this change to the changes already entered:

 664c700,703
 <       strlen(url) < 1024 && !ap_proxy_liststr(pragma, "no-cache") &&
 ---
 >       strlen(url) < 1024 &&
 > #ifndef IGNORE_PRAGMA_NOCACHE
 >       !ap_proxy_liststr(pragma, "no-cache") &&
 > #endif

 RFC 1945, section 10.12 explains pragma:no-cache as follows:

 "When the "no-cache" directive is present in a request message, an
 application should forward the request toward the origin server even if it
 has a cached copy of what is being requested. This allows a client to insist
 upon receiving an authoritative response to its request. It also allows a
 client to refresh a cached copy which is known to be corrupted or stale."

 In the case of a (load balancing or caching) reverse proxy, one could argue
 that the the proxy is actually a component of the origin server and that the
 contents of its cache are authoritative. This proposed change uses a
 preprocessor identifier, which if defined (e.g.,
 EXTRA_CFLAGS=-DIGNORE_PRAGMA_NOCACHE) causes mod_proxy to ignore the
 no-cache pragma. I chose to use a compile time variable rather than a
 configuration parameter to avoid the extra overhead and because it would
 probably be used only rarely.