www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Ryan Clifton <rclif...@inetbiz.com>
Subject general/4446: Apache 1.3.6 w/ Jrun Pro and multiple jsms returning invalid header information intermittently
Date Thu, 20 May 1999 19:24:58 GMT

>Number:         4446
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       Apache 1.3.6 w/ Jrun Pro and multiple jsms returning invalid header information
intermittently
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Release:        1.3.6
>Environment:
Solaris 2.6, current patch level.  compiler=gcc

uname -a
SunOS ultra2.inetbiz.com 5.6 Generic sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-2
Using Apache 1.3.6 and the new ability to put srm.conf informtion into the
<Virtual Host> tags, we have one httpd server running multiple Jrun Pro java vms through
proxy hosts (each proxy host is on a different port on the same machine).
Every once in a while, but enough that it can be reproduced within about 5 - 10 minutes, the
web server will return invalid header information, aparently without ever going to the proxy
connector.
Here is a copy of the bad header information:

ncoded COOKIE: jrunsessionid=92713774134783398 IF_MODIFIED_SINCE: REFERER:
<http://www.markethome.com/webj/superadmin?func=C_modifyCat&cid=42&pid=LLBea
nBuyers>
USER_AGENT: Mozilla/4.08 [en] (Win95; I ;Nav) QUERY_STRING: REQUEST_METHOD:
POST
SCRIPT_NAME: /webj/webj/superadmin AUTH_TYPE: PATH_INFO: REMOTE_USER:
REMOTE_HOST: 206.111.144.155 SERVER_NAME: www.markethome.com
<http://www.markethome.com> SERVER_PORT: 80
SERVER_PORT_SECURE: SERVER_PROTOCOL: HTTP/1.0 REMOTE_ADDR: 206.111.144.155

We have logs coming out of Jrun that track every hit, jrun is never receiving a request when
we get this bug.
So.. while this looks like a bug with Apache 1.3.6 (we were previously using 1.3.4 with only
once jsm per httpd root process and never saw this), there is also a possibility that it could
be problem with the interface between 1.3.6 and the jrun connector proxy.

What I do know is that we were running Apache 1.3.4 with Jrun Pro v 2.2 in production, under
a heavy load and never saw this.  Now with Apache 1.3.6, the same version of Jrun but with
multple java vms per Apache root process, this problem shows up quite often.

This problem appears on our production, staging, and dev servers, meaning that it is not localized
to one machine.

This is a critical problem, as most hosting sites are going to need to set up a similar environment
in order to run Java servlets with Apache.
>How-To-Repeat:
Set up Apache 1.3.6 on Solaris.  Enable at least two jsms, on two different proxy ports.
Bang at them for a while.  For us, just hitting reload on a browser can reproduce the problem.

Alternatively, go to www.markethome.com/webj/subscriber?func=S_survey&c=1&p=1920
and hit reload a bunch of times (hopefully murphys law won't kick in and never show the bug).