www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Nathan Wiger <nwi...@email.com>
Subject mod_auth-any/4444: Apache loops under certain circumstances when accessing password-protected dirs
Date Thu, 20 May 1999 02:52:02 GMT

>Number:         4444
>Category:       mod_auth-any
>Synopsis:       Apache loops under certain circumstances when accessing password-protected
dirs
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
When accessing pages protected with mod_auth (either via a configuration
in httpd.conf or a .htaccess file), sometimes Apache will get in an odd
state and just loop. This is manifested by the bottom status line of the
browser (Netscape 4.0 - 4.5) repeatedly flashing "Contacting host ...
Host contacted ... Contacting host" very fast. The error_log won't show
anything, but the access_log will just show repeated GET entries for the
requested URL. At no point does a password dialog box pop up or the page
ever actually get downloaded to the browser.
>How-To-Repeat:
Unfortunately, the hosts are behind a firewall. However, I have been able to
narrow it down a little. I believe it only happens on relative hostnames. If
you give the full address (for ex, host.dom.foo.com) in the browser it seems
to work just fine. However, if you give a relative name (for ex, host.dom),
it will get into a loop sometimes. Note that the behavior is intermittent.
Restarting the httpd daemon fixes the problem 100% of the time.
>Fix:
No, sorry. :-(