www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Bob Brown <brown.rob...@telops.gte.com>
Subject config/4409: access problem after changing User and Group in http.conf to http
Date Thu, 13 May 1999 18:07:12 GMT

>Number:         4409
>Category:       config
>Synopsis:       access problem after changing User and Group in http.conf to http
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Release:        Unix 1.3.4
>Environment:
Solaris 2.6
SunOS calnet124 5.6 Generic_105181-11 sun4m sparc SUNW,SPARCstation-5

Compiler: gcc 2.8.1
Trying to improve security of Apache 1.3.4. and starting with the default installation configuration.

Set up group of "http" and user of "http" (no password and no shell).  User http has http
as it's primary group.

Also, changed user and group for all htdoc files and directories using "chown -R http:http"

Changed from default config of "nobody" to new account "http".  After restarting the server
"Forbidden You don't have permission to access / on this server"

What config changes do I need to make to use a non-nobody user and still get all the htdocs
to be accessable/readable?
>How-To-Repeat:
Set up a test server and do what I did.
>Fix:
nope...I think I've just got a config problem.