www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Eric Bellotti <ebe...@sympatico.ca>
Subject general/4359: 'apachectl restart' inscreases memory usage each time
Date Thu, 06 May 1999 12:55:14 GMT

>Number:         4359
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       'apachectl restart' inscreases memory usage each time
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
At any given point, memory usage may be (from top)
 8800 nobody     8   0  1444 1444  1360 S       0  0.0  6.5   0:00 httpd
following an apachectl restart,
 8809 nobody     8   0  1456 1456  1372 S       0  0.0  6.5   0:00 httpd

clearly memory usage for each child process has increased.
>How-To-Repeat:
placing an 'apachectl restart' every 5 min in the root crontab killed my system in about 18
hours, causing the whole system to crash miserably, requiring a power off reset
>Fix:
instead of using apachectl restart, I use
apachectl stop followed by apachectl start.  this does not affect memory usage.