www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Karthik Prabhakar <kart...@corp.hp.com>
Subject Re: os-linux/4268: Performance drops off after high specweb loads on highperformance-conf-dist
Date Thu, 06 May 1999 08:10:02 GMT
The following reply was made to PR os-linux/4268; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Karthik Prabhakar <karthik@corp.hp.com>
To: Dean Gaudet <dgaudet@arctic.org>
Cc: prab@cs.purdue.edu, apbugs@apache.org
Subject: Re: os-linux/4268: Performance drops off after high specweb loads on
 highperformance-conf-dist
Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 08:03:53 +0000

 Dean Gaudet wrote:

 > On Thu, 22 Apr 1999, Karthik Prabhakar wrote:
 >
 > > >From the strace, it appears that the read() from the socket is
 > > taking a bit of time, as well as the flock().
 >
 > the flock() is not abnormal -- it's used for interprocess synchronization.
 > The read() is also probably not a problem... it's usually client latency.
 >
 > I'm not sure what's up... I'm actually going to have a chance to test this
 > stuff out on a high end linux box under specweb this weekend I think.  So
 > I may be able to repeat it.
 >
 > Dean

 The mystery continues. I got round to trying out 1.3.6 again this evening,
 this time on 2.2.7. I did _not_ see the performance drop off. Just to verify,
 I rechecked on the stock 2.2.5 kernel, and the drop off is there.

 So _something_ has been fixed between 2.2.5 and 2.2.7 that has made this problem
 go away. I'll keep plugging away as I get spare time to see if I can get the
 problem to occur.

 cheers,
 karthik