www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Thomas Klueppelholz <thomas.klueppelh...@barmenia.de>
Subject os-windows/4349: Apache service problem with UNC names
Date Tue, 04 May 1999 09:59:23 GMT

>Number:         4349
>Category:       os-windows
>Synopsis:       Apache service problem with UNC names
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
Our problem was reported for version 1.3.2 in your bug knowledge base (number 3064). It isnīt
solved in version 1.3.6.
We got the following problem:
With a perl 5 (Win32) script we would create some files on other servers than the server running
Apache 1.3.6. For this we need to use UNC names. Now if we start the NT-Apache service with
the account of a domain administrator (security problem!), the files are created correct.
If we start the service with the NT system account, the files canīt be created. The perl error
message is that the directory or the filename are not found. We controlled the permissions
on the servers. The permissions are ok.
We tested to create a local file with the complete local path (e.g. c:/programme/test.txt).
The file is created correct when running the Apache service with the NT system account. We
only get the problem by using UNC names.
>How-To-Repeat:
Perhaps try it with a simple perl script that only creates a file.
If you need a script example, please contact me.
>Fix:
You can fix the problem by using a domain administrator account for starting the Apache NT
service. This is a big security problem.
Another problem is that if you start the service not with the NT system account, the perl
ODBC addon doesnīt connect to the database.