www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From s..@lynxhub.lz.att.com
Subject Re: mod_log-any/3802: would like to add an option,%R, to expand directory requests to include the filename within CLF
Date Wed, 21 Apr 1999 15:34:19 GMT
Dean,

    We present reports to our customers and we allow our customers
    to get their raw log files.

    Since most tools understand extended CLF, we provide that (or
    something that looks like it) to our customers.

    If I understand you correctly, you are suggesting that we add
    a new field (at the end of the log) and strip it off before
    shipping it to the customer.  We could use the new field in
    combination with the URL presented via %>r to construct the
    correct file name, path/info, and query string in all cases.

    Of course, the above is possible.

    Wouldn't it be easier for everyone concerned to implement a
    different change request, PR2772.

    Allow us to put the %>r together by having separate
    options for method, uri-w-query, and protocol.

    I implemented PR2772 using %V for uri-w-query to my dismay when
    I found out that Apache 1.3.6 used %V for something else.  Oh well.

    There are many users of Apache, it is simpler to change LogFormat
    entries than write code--clearly, it is not a hugh impact for
    hundreds of us to write a little code, but I think it is better
    to localize the "little code" to 1 place--in this case, Apache.

--
one man's opinion,
sam

> From apwww@hyperreal.org Tue Apr 20 21:28 EDT 1999