www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Dilip Khandekar <di...@cup.hp.com>
Subject os-hpux/4339: Build fails without the +e or -Ae compiler flags
Date Fri, 30 Apr 1999 20:50:45 GMT

>Number:         4339
>Category:       os-hpux
>Synopsis:       Build fails without the +e or -Ae compiler flags
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
When compiling Apache on HP-UX 11.0, we get the following error:
   cc: "/usr/include/dlfcn.h", line 17: error 1681: Must use +e or -Ae for
       long long in ANSI mode.

An earlier bug report (PR #3668) has been closed as
   use env CFLAGS="-Ae" ./configure
>How-To-Repeat:
$ ./configure ; make
>Fix:
The fix to the problem would be to use the +e or -Ae compiler flags.
That can be done by setting CFLAGS in src/Configure as:
   CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -Ae"

However, if there is reluctance on your part to use the +e or -Ae flags,
since they are HP-UX's extensions to ANSI, and hence non-standard, I can
understand that. In that case, it might be a good idea to include the
following (or something similar) tip in the src/BUILD.NOTES file:

---------
HP-UX 11:
---------
  The file /usr/include/dlfcn.h, which is included via src/os/unix/os.h,
  has a typedef definition using unsigned long long. This data type is
  not available in the standard ANSI C compiler, and you have to use the
  extended features of the compiler. This can be done by the +e or -Ae
  flag to the compiler. To include the flag build Apache as follows:
     $ CFLAGS="-Ae" ./configure