www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Bryan Woods <bwo...@starvision.com>
Subject config/4336: Does not look for .class files and .jar files in right place
Date Thu, 29 Apr 1999 23:24:15 GMT

>Number:         4336
>Category:       config
>Synopsis:       Does not look for .class files and .jar files in right place
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
In a directory \apache\htdocs\test:

Hello.html (contains an <APPLET> tag for HelloApplet
HelloApplet.java
HelloServer.java
HelloServant.java
HelloService.idl
HelloService\*.java (output from running idltojava on HelloService.idl)

The java code imports org.omg.CORBA.*, which appletviewer and java find in
my c:\java\lib directory (indicated by CLASSPATH environment variable). When
apache tries to load the HelloApplet, it looks for imported classes in the
applet's directory and subdirectories, and does not find subdirectories
like test\org\omg\CORBA, etc.

Hence the applet fails to load due to a ClassDefNotFound exception. The
log file contains:

Apache: [Thu Apr 29 13:12:35 1999] [error] [client <IP>] File does not exist: c:/apache/htdocs/test/org/omg/CORBA/portable/IDLEntity.class
Apache: [Thu Apr 29 13:12:35 1999] [error] [client <IP>] Filename is not valid: c:/apache/htdocs/test/com

This is not discussed in the FAQ. This is not a Servlet issue.
>How-To-Repeat:
Please email me, and I would happily send you a zipped application. It's
a simple client/server "Hello World" in Java using CORBA. There is a
file in the archive which contains the exceptions, and the apache log
file will have more info.

Or, follow the Java Tutorial for IDL at www.javasoft.com and try to get
it working as an applet loaded by a browser (e.g. Netscape)
>Fix:
Apache should search for class and jar files in the directory/directories
incicated by the CLASSPATH variable which it could read from the environment
or have it specified in the httpd.conf file.

If there is a known, easy way to fix this (copying jar files around?), please
post in the comp.lang.java.* newsgroups, as there are messages from several
people who have stumbled over this.