www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Peter Gordon <pe...@valor.com>
Subject Re: general/4160: Reading large amounts of data
Date Thu, 22 Apr 1999 11:20:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR general/4160; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Peter Gordon <peter@valor.com>
To: dgaudet@apache.org
Cc: apbugs@apache.org
Subject: Re: general/4160: Reading large amounts of data
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 14:16:36 +0300 (IDT)

 On  20-Apr, dgaudet@apache.org wrote:
 > [If you do not include this Cc, your reply may be ig-   ]
 > [nored unless you are responding to an explicit request ]
 > [from a developer.                                      ]
 > [Reply only with text; DO NOT SEND ATTACHMENTS!         ]
 >

 > Synopsis: Reading large amounts of data
 >
 > State-Changed-From-To: open-closed
 > State-Changed-By: dgaudet
 > State-Changed-When: Tue Apr 20 10:07:09 PDT 1999
 > State-Changed-Why:
 > There is no parameter you can change to make the request line
 > that big.  In fact I don't understand how you intend this
 > to work -- no client will send a URL that long.  If you merely
 > want to change the size of the headers you're modifying the
 > wrong parameter... look for LimitRequest* directives at
 > http://www.apache.org/docs/mod/core.html
 >

 > and there's no limit on the body size of a POST -- which is
 > a more appropriate method of sending such large requests.

 This is where I am having a problem. From having a look at the source,
 it looks as if it goes out of its way to limit the size of the
 incoming information. When I POST less than 8K, the transfer works
 successfully. When I post more, I get the error message

   "HTTP request sent, awaiting response... HTTP/1.1 414 Request-URI Too Large"

 The program receiving the information at the server end gives:
 REQUEST_METHOD = POST
 so I know that the method is correct.

 I cannot find any way to workaround this problem.

 Regards,

 Peter
 --
 Peter Gordon