www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Radu Greab <r...@netsoft.ro>
Subject Re: mod_dir/3596: mod_dir doesn't handle requests which must be processed internally by mod_proxy
Date Wed, 21 Apr 1999 12:20:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR mod_dir/3596; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Radu Greab <radu@netsoft.ro>
To: dgaudet@apache.org
Cc: apbugs@apache.org
Subject: Re: mod_dir/3596: mod_dir doesn't handle requests which must be processed internally
by mod_proxy
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 15:15:07 +0300 (EEST)

 dgaudet@apache.org writes:
  > No, you have to fill in r->finfo if you're implementing
  > something which pretends to be the filesystem... that's
  > just how it is.  You don't have to fill in much, just
  > set the mode and mtime or something like that.  I know,
  > it's not well documented, but what of the api is?

 Do you suggest that just because I need to transparrently provide
 dynamic content from another server I have to create bogus files on
 the filesystem?

 To solve my problem I have a few possibilities:
 1) use my patch against mod_dir to make it proxy aware. The advantage
 is that I can use a minimum configuration in httpd.conf (one line) and
 it doesn't require _bogus_ files and the task can be solved with two
 modules compiled in: mod_dir and mod_proxy.

 2) use mod_rewrite with proxy pass through feature and create a _bogus_
 file to make mod_dir happy. Easy to implement but requires a more
 complex configuration in httpd.conf (two or three lines) and _bogus_
 files. The task can be solved with three modules compiled in: mod_dir,
 mod_proxy and mod_rewrite.

 3) the index file could be a cgi script which passes the request
 further as a proxy request to the other server, even if I have
 mod_proxy which could do the task. Ugly.

 It seems that making mod_dir aware of proxy requests by applying this
 patch is the most clean and elegant solution. What do you think?

 Thanks,
 Radu Greab.