www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Marcin Cieslak <sa...@system.pl>
Subject Re: mod_mime/4097: mod_mime_magic unable to handle compressed content larger than 4k
Date Tue, 20 Apr 1999 21:00:02 GMT
The following reply was made to PR mod_mime/4097; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marcin Cieslak <saper@system.pl>
To: dgaudet@apache.org
Cc: apache-bugdb@apache.org, apbugs@apache.org
Subject: Re: mod_mime/4097: mod_mime_magic unable to handle compressed content
 larger than 4k
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 23:02:42 +0200 (MET DST)

 On 20 Apr 1999 dgaudet@apache.org wrote:

 > Synopsis: mod_mime_magic unable to handle compressed content larger than 4k
 >
 > I get a 403 when I try to access the URLs you listed.

 My apologies. Now this is (hopefully) fixed.

 > We deliberately limit the amount sent to unzip/uncompress --
 > because we don't want to use lots of memory or CPU time
 > to do it.  The first 4k should be enough to identify all
 > files...

 It seems that we have to sacrifice CPU and memory.
 I haven't found any way to force gzip to uncompress
 a fragment of the file.
 It fails with exit code 1 when the compressed file/
 data stream is not complete.
 Yes, it would be enough to supply first 4k of uncompressed contents.
 Perhaps we should integrate mod_mime_magic with zlib.

 Consider this:

 Script started on Tue Apr 20 22:51:53 1999
 tricord:/u/saper % gzip tf
 tricord:/u/saper % ls -l tf.gz
 -rwxr-xr-x   1 saper    staff      43276 Apr 20 22:50 tf.gz
 tricord:/u/saper % dd if=tf.gz of=tf-first4k.gz count=8
 8+0 records in
 8+0 records out
 tricord:/u/saper % ls -l tf*gz
 -rw-r--r--   1 saper    staff       4096 Apr 20 22:52 tf-first4k.gz
 -rwxr-xr-x   1 saper    staff      43276 Apr 20 22:50 tf.gz
 tricord:/u/saper % gzip -d -c tf.gz > /dev/null
 tricord:/u/saper % echo $status
 0
 tricord:/u/saper % gzip -d -c tf-first4k.gz > /dev/null

 gzip: tf-first4k.gz: unexpected end of file
 tricord:/u/saper % echo $status
 1
 script done on Tue Apr 20 22:52:50 1999
 > Also it uses "uncompress -c" and passes it the compressed
 > data on stdin -- so uncompress never deals with a filename,
 > so I don't see how it can complain about a lack of .Z.

 Yes, this is the "bug" introduced with my modification --
 it uses the file on disk directly, and it doesn't have to
 have a ".Z" or ".gz" extension.

 However, my patch allows me to browse Cisco Documentation CD
 without any problems and with now need for proprietary
 software supplied by Cisco for Windows and some commercial
 UNIX platforms.

 --
                  << Marcin Cieslak // saper@system.pl >>

 SYSTEM Internet Provider                     http://www.system.pl