www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Karthik Prabhakar <p...@cs.purdue.edu>
Subject os-linux/4268: Performance drops off after high specweb loads on highperformance-conf-dist
Date Sun, 18 Apr 1999 19:44:34 GMT

>Number:         4268
>Category:       os-linux
>Synopsis:       Performance drops off after high specweb loads on highperformance-conf-dist
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Release:        1.3.6, 1.3.4
>Environment:
Linux 2.2.5, redhat 5.9, compiled using egcs 3.16 (-O2)
2*PII/450, 512 MB, 2*9Gig 10000rpm ultra-scsi disks (OS,apache on 1st,
web root on 2nd - ext2fs), 1.3 Gig swap.
Most files are being served from cache

This problem is both with the default verion (1.3.4) shipped with redhat 5.9,
as well as with a compiled 1.3.6, without any modules enabled.
I'm running some specweb tests on apache, and with the specific config file
from the distribution, performance drastically drops after reaching
high loads - and remains poor even after the specweb tests stop.

Latency after specific loads increases to up to 4 seconds for 512 byte files,
and throughput drops steeply as well.

The OS itself is in fine shape - there are no problems. CPU load, memory usage,
swap usage, and network load are not high. Restarting apache brings performance
back to normal levels.

The problem seems specific to the highperformance.conf of the distribution -
and child processes that process up to 10000000 requests. Other configurations
where the there are more child servers that process fewer requests each do not
seem to have this performance drop off, although performance is about 20%
lower.
>How-To-Repeat:
Yes, run the specweb96 tests.
>Fix: