www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Kris Spinka <kspi...@style.net>
Subject mod_jserv/4226: The ServerSocket is binding to IN_ADDR_ANY
Date Sun, 11 Apr 1999 23:52:56 GMT

>Number:         4226
>Category:       mod_jserv
>Synopsis:       The ServerSocket is binding to IN_ADDR_ANY
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
The ServerSocket is binding to IN_ADDR_ANY which is a potential performance issue, but more
importantly exposes the servlet engine to the outside world, DoS attacks are way to simple
here.
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
This can easily be rectified in src/java/org/apache/java/net/AuthenticatedServerSocket.java
when the call to the superclass's constructor occurs.  As in interim fix, I set mine to bind
only to 127.0.0.1 or InetAddress.getByName("localhost") as the third parameter.  As a long
term fix I think the jserv.properties should contain not only a port directive but an address/port
pair similar to the Listen directive in Apache would be nice.  I would like to help with this
effort on other fronts if any is needed please get in touch.