www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Godmar Back <gb...@cs.utah.edu>
Subject Re: general/4219: JServ1.0b3 does not build: only compiles Hello.java
Date Sat, 10 Apr 1999 17:56:30 GMT

Aha.  Further investigation reveals that it's not automake that is to
blame per se, automake in its infinite wisdom only hides what's going on.

Apparently, you need to specify --with-apache-src, because of
AM_CONDITIONAL(MAKE_LIBJSERV, test x$apache_dir_is_src = xfalse)
in configure.in

The question boils down to what is an "apache src" directory.
Why should you need the Apache source to build mod_jserv?
I see no reason; I can see that you need the include files, which
RedHat puts in /usr/include/apache.

I'd suggest you either rename
--with-apache-src to --with-apache-include or point out that all you
need is the header files.  (If that's indeed true, and I'm not simply
trying to achieve the impossible when attempting to build JServ without
having built apache).

Secondly, you may want to consider printing a warning if MAKE_LIBJSERV
is false, because that basically means that you don't build the main
component of your distribution; something you may want to tell the user
about.

I'm feeling kind of bad of putting my fudging with this in a bug report;
it's rather a testimonial of how automake and using its features can totally
obscure and screw up what would otherwise be a straightforward build process.

I know that the include files are in /usr/include/apache,
and indeed I see:
> echo `apxs -q INCLUDEDIR`
/usr/include/apache

(That's a test configure does too)
So I try:

./configure --with-jsdk=/x/gback/classes/jsdk.jar --prefix=/opt/local --with-apa
che-dir=/usr --with-apache-src=/usr

checking for httpd.h... no
configure: error: Could not locate one or more of the necessary Apache header fi
les.

Then I try:

./configure --with-jsdk=/x/gback/classes/jsdk.jar --prefix=/opt/local --with-apa
che-dir=/usr --with-apache-src=/usr/local
ing for httpd.h... no
configure: error: Could not locate one or more of the necessary Apache header fi
les.

Hmmm, maybe:
./configure --with-jsdk=/x/gback/classes/jsdk.jar --prefix=/opt/local --with-apa
che-dir=/usr --with-apache-src=/usr/local/apache

checking for Apache directory... configure: error: Directory  is not a valid Apa
che source distribution

Hmmm, I guess it's back to studying the configure/configure.in file
some more...

Cheers,

        - Godmar