www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From William Drury <b...@xao.com>
Subject config/4221: Mistake in the security configuration for users' public_html file in the httpd.conf
Date Sat, 10 Apr 1999 01:46:37 GMT

>Number:         4221
>Category:       config
>Synopsis:       Mistake in the security configuration for users' public_html file in the
httpd.conf
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
The default httpd.conf-dist seemed to be incorrect about how to allow users to have public_html
directories accessible (I wanted to change to allow Indexes, in this case).

Instead of the line <Directory /*/public_html>, I had to use the line <Directory
~ /*/public_html> before the configuration file changes to the Options tag (but presumable
any information inside that <Directory> area) would work.
>How-To-Repeat:
Use the default httpd.conf and try to get a directory index (a directory without an DirectoryIndex
specified file in it, usually a file listing of all things in the directory).
>Fix:
Modify the default httpd.conf-dist.  The line:

<Directory /*/public_html>

Should really be this, I think:

<Directory ~ /*/public_html>

... because it makes it work. :)