www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Matt Braithwaite <...@alink.net>
Subject general/4210: Identical (same IP & port) Listen directives hose Apache
Date Wed, 07 Apr 1999 23:44:15 GMT

>Number:         4210
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       Identical (same IP & port) Listen directives hose Apache
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
Let's say I do

	Listen foo.alink.net:80
	Listen bar.alink.net:80

where foo and bar are CNAMEs for the same thing.  This screws Apache up in ways
that, I'm afraid, are a little hard to characterize.  I get a lot of these in
the log:

[Sat Apr  3 04:11:47 1999] [error] (38)Socket operation on non-socket: accept: (client socket)

and Apache was not answering on the IP and port indicated.
>How-To-Repeat:
Two identical Listen directives should do it.
>Fix:
I think users should be allowed to do this.  Even if hostnames resolve to the
same IP address, having them all in httpd.conf is a useful way of indicating
what duties the machine's web server performs (where those duties correspond to
hostnames).

If this is not going to be allowed, though, it should fail better, perhaps by
being caught by `apachectl configtest'.

Thanks.