www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Dave Dykstra <...@bell-labs.com>
Subject os-other/4189: Ran into assembler bug in http_protocol.c
Date Fri, 02 Apr 1999 14:09:21 GMT

>Number:         4189
>Category:       os-other
>Synopsis:       Ran into assembler bug in http_protocol.c
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
The assembler of the ANSI C compiler on UTS sometimes bombs on apache source
files.  Before apache 1.3.6 it has only happened in optional modules and I
just skipped compiling them.  With the latest release, it is bombing in
the required http_protocol.c so I investigated further for a workaround.
It turns out that removing the second "const" from the status_lines array
definition is the easiest way, although it can also be avoided by splitting
the existing code into two separate files.  I chose to use the easy way.
This is such an obscure problem that I wouldn't blame you if you don't want
to incorporate it into the base, but I thought I would submit it anyway just
in case.
>How-To-Repeat:
You'll have to trust me.
>Fix:
*** src/main/http_protocol.c.O  Wed Mar 31 09:08:32 1999
--- src/main/http_protocol.c    Wed Mar 31 09:26:58 1999
***************
*** 1170,1176 ****
   * and must be listed in order.
   */

! static const char * const status_lines[RESPONSE_CODES] = {
      "100 Continue",
      "101 Switching Protocols",
      "102 Processing",
--- 1170,1185 ----
   * and must be listed in order.
   */

! #ifdef UTS21
! /* The second const triggers an assembler bug on UTS 2.1.
!  * Another workaround is to move some code out of this file into another,
!  *   but this is easier.  Dave Dykstra, 3/31/99
!  */
! static const char * status_lines[RESPONSE_CODES] =
! #else
! static const char * const status_lines[RESPONSE_CODES] =
! #endif
! {
      "100 Continue",
      "101 Switching Protocols",