www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Matt Wagner <m...@uwrf.edu>
Subject mod_dir/4128: rewritten "trailing slash" URL's are rewritten to port 80 of the server, regardless if the [backend] server is running on a different server -- say 8000.
Date Thu, 25 Mar 1999 16:12:41 GMT

>Number:         4128
>Category:       mod_dir
>Synopsis:       rewritten "trailing slash" URL's are rewritten to port 80 of the server,
regardless if the [backend] server is running on a different server -- say 8000.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
rewritten "trailing slash" URL's are rewritten to port 80 of the server,
regardless if the [backend] server is running on a different server -- say 8000.

this is a problem in a load balancing environment (i.e. Ralf Eng.'s WebTechniques article).
the "work" servers behind the reverse proxy are split based on functionality. that
is servers that serve static info run on port 8000, php/php3 on 8001, and mod_perl
on 8002. this of course is just my implementation, and the work around that i found
was to run the *default* mod_dir handling server on port 80 on the backend servers.
however, i believe that i *should* have the flexibility to not run anything on
port 80 on the backends. and thus this bug report. :)
>How-To-Repeat:
run a server at a port other than port 80. try to access a directory without the
trailing slash... when mod_dir redirects to the *correct* trailing slash URL, it
tries to rewrite to a port 80 version of the URL.
>Fix:
include the port number of the given server in the redirected URL.