www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From "Arjan van Staalduijnen" <ar...@alpha.nl>
Subject Re: mod_info/4035: mod_info won't work if access.conf and srm.conf are not available.
Date Fri, 12 Mar 1999 10:10:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR mod_info/4035; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Arjan van Staalduijnen" <arjan@alpha.nl>
To: <apache-bugdb@apache.org>, <jim@apache.org>
Cc: <apbugs@apache.org>
Subject: Re: mod_info/4035: mod_info won't work if access.conf and srm.conf are not available.
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 11:07:49 +0100

 -----Original Message-----
 From: jim@apache.org <jim@apache.org>
 To: a.vanstaalduijnen@alpha.nl <a.vanstaalduijnen@alpha.nl>;
 apache-bugdb@apache.org <apache-bugdb@apache.org>; jim@apache.org
 <jim@apache.org>
 Date: Friday, March 12, 1999 3:24 AM
 Subject: Re: mod_info/4035: mod_info won't work if access.conf and srm.conf
 are not available.

 >[In order for any reply to be added to the PR database, ]
 >[you need to include <apbugs@Apache.Org> in the Cc line ]
 >[and leave the subject line UNCHANGED.  This is not done]
 >[automatically because of the potential for mail loops. ]
 >[If you do not include this Cc, your reply may be ig-   ]
 >[nored unless you are responding to an explicit request ]
 >[from a developer.                                      ]
 >[Reply only with text; DO NOT SEND ATTACHMENTS!         ]
 >

 >Synopsis: mod_info won't work if access.conf and srm.conf are not
 available.

 >State-Changed-From-To: open-feedback
 >State-Changed-By: jim
 >State-Changed-When: Thu Mar 11 18:24:29 PST 1999
 >State-Changed-Why:
 >Do you have the "other" conf files set to /dev/null in your main config
 file?

 Hi,

 Uhm, no, as the base configuration I used a configuration which came along
 with a distribution (I don't remember if it was a configuration with a Linux
 Debian package or if it was in the Apache-tar which I downloaded). This
 httpd.conf file had the ResourceConfig and AccessConfig-parameters commented
 out; no others entered. This didn't affect the functionality of the
 webserver - everything, except mod_info, seemed to work fine, so I figured
 all was okay. I've now changed these two parameters to /dev/null and yes,
 everything functions the way it should now. Thanks.

 I don't want to be a smartass, but I guess it is something to take into
 consideration for new releases. Judging the fact that mod_info is smart
 enough to recognize that it can't load the access.conf and srm.conf and the
 fact that it is able to handle a /dev/null for input, I guess it would not
 be a lot of work to make mod_info more resistant to configuration mistakes.
 At the moment it appears that mod_info goes into error if one step goes
 wrong, even when all information is available.

 Thanks for your support.

 Arjan van Staalduijnen