www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: general/4033: HTTP/0.9 requests yield invalid response
Date Thu, 11 Mar 1999 20:30:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR general/4033; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.Coar@Golux.Com>
To: John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@4j.lane.edu>
Cc: Apache bug database <apbugs@Apache.Org>
Subject: Re: general/4033: HTTP/0.9 requests yield invalid response
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 15:23:24 -0500

 John-Mark Gurney wrote:

 >  oh well, you can close it, but it doesn't matter, the spec says that
 >  a difference of major version numbers isn't transport compatible, and
 >  apache is assuming that major version 0 of http is transport compatible
 >  with major version 1...  it doesn't matter that it's a malformed HTTP/0.9
 >  request, apache shouldn't return an HTTP/1.x response as it either should
 >  return a simple request or return an invalid request...

 You're missing the point, I think.  It *isn't* a 'malformed HTTP/0.9
 request,' because HTTP/0.9 requests *never* have a version number.
 If anything, it's a malformed HTTP/1.0 request by virtue of having
 included the version number at all, and the malformation is an
 unrecognised version string.  In which case an HTTP/1.0 response
 is perfectly valid.  If a request doesn't include a version
 identifier, it's HTTP/0.9 by definition.  If it does, it *has*
 to be something other than HTTP/0.9.
 --
 #ken    P-)}