www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Brian Costner <bcost...@emeraldnet.net>
Subject os-windows/3988: Apache 1.3.4 will not operate in Win95
Date Wed, 03 Mar 1999 13:40:46 GMT

>Number:         3988
>Category:       os-windows
>Synopsis:       Apache 1.3.4 will not operate in Win95
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
I have installed Apache 1.3.4 three times in Win95. Each time, when I click "Apache Server"
on the Start menu, a DOS window opens, about one sentence is printed on the screen, and the
DOS window closes well before I can read even the first word. I've tried running Apache several
times after each install. Always the same result.

Before my last install, I searched the bug database and found reference from an earlier to
the need to rename the extension of .conf files. So, I installed and checked all the .conf
files. Only highperformance.conf appeared to need a change. I made the change and started
Apache. Same result as above.

Another thing I noticed. I did the first install to Program Files/Apache. When the installation
was complete, I got a message saying the computer needed to be restarted. I restarted it.
Apache didn't work. I uninstalled and was pleasantly surprised to find that the entire Apache
directory had been removed. I made the second installation to Apache's default (Program Files/Apache
Group/Apache). This time, at the end of the installation process, I got a screen asking me
whether I want to view the readme file and a "Finish" button. This screen did not appear after
the first install. There was no indication of a need to restart the computer. When I uninstalled
the second installation, the directory was not deleted. I did the third installation to Program
Files/Apache and this time got the readme file/finish screen as in the second installation.
I've not yet uninstalled this set up.
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
No