www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From "Arjan van Staalduijnen" <ar...@alpha.nl>
Subject Re: mod_info/4035: mod_info won't work if access.conf and srm.conf are not available.
Date Fri, 12 Mar 1999 10:07:49 GMT

-----Original Message-----
From: jim@apache.org <jim@apache.org>
To: a.vanstaalduijnen@alpha.nl <a.vanstaalduijnen@alpha.nl>;
apache-bugdb@apache.org <apache-bugdb@apache.org>; jim@apache.org
<jim@apache.org>
Date: Friday, March 12, 1999 3:24 AM
Subject: Re: mod_info/4035: mod_info won't work if access.conf and srm.conf
are not available.

>[In order for any reply to be added to the PR database, ]
>[you need to include <apbugs@Apache.Org> in the Cc line ]
>[and leave the subject line UNCHANGED.  This is not done]
>[automatically because of the potential for mail loops. ]
>[If you do not include this Cc, your reply may be ig-   ]
>[nored unless you are responding to an explicit request ]
>[from a developer.                                      ]
>[Reply only with text; DO NOT SEND ATTACHMENTS!         ]
>

>Synopsis: mod_info won't work if access.conf and srm.conf are not
available.

>State-Changed-From-To: open-feedback
>State-Changed-By: jim
>State-Changed-When: Thu Mar 11 18:24:29 PST 1999
>State-Changed-Why:
>Do you have the "other" conf files set to /dev/null in your main config
file?

Hi,

Uhm, no, as the base configuration I used a configuration which came along
with a distribution (I don't remember if it was a configuration with a Linux
Debian package or if it was in the Apache-tar which I downloaded). This
httpd.conf file had the ResourceConfig and AccessConfig-parameters commented
out; no others entered. This didn't affect the functionality of the
webserver - everything, except mod_info, seemed to work fine, so I figured
all was okay. I've now changed these two parameters to /dev/null and yes,
everything functions the way it should now. Thanks.

I don't want to be a smartass, but I guess it is something to take into
consideration for new releases. Judging the fact that mod_info is smart
enough to recognize that it can't load the access.conf and srm.conf and the
fact that it is able to handle a /dev/null for input, I guess it would not
be a lot of work to make mod_info more resistant to configuration mistakes.
At the moment it appears that mod_info goes into error if one step goes
wrong, even when all information is available.

Thanks for your support.

Arjan van Staalduijnen