www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Xavier ROCHE <ro...@ensicaen.ismra.fr>
Subject apache-api/3915: Suggest code: automatically "hides" email addresses using javascript to avoid spamming/email grabbers on Web sites
Date Thu, 18 Feb 1999 12:47:17 GMT

>Number:         3915
>Category:       apache-api
>Synopsis:       Suggest code: automatically "hides" email addresses using javascript to
avoid spamming/email grabbers on Web sites
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
The suggested feature would parse all HTML files sent by Apache so that:
* links like <a href="mailto:adr@host.dom"> can be replaced by a simple call to JavaScript
function
that does the same, with a document.write(..)
* addresse like adr@host.dom can be automatically replaced by adr@<something useless>host.dom

With this feature, there won't be anymore mailto: "visible" or email addresses.
Most email grabbers will be fooled. Both javascript code AND dummy tags can be improved randomly
so that
no grabbers will be able to locate the addresses.

This systems works with all browsers, even if browsers like LYNX will not show
the mailto: links (but email adresses will be visible, however)

>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
I have written an example code, that works fine. It hides all email addresses, and
it is totally transparent to the browers. Email grabbers are unable to catch
ANY addresses.

I did not sent the code, because it is rather large (100k) [it's the patched main/http_core.c
file]
If you are interested in it, I'll send it to you.

Regards,
Xavier Roche