www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Timothy Tsai <tt...@research.bell-labs.com>
Subject os-windows/3891: NT service has bad performance for client on same machine
Date Fri, 12 Feb 1999 18:43:06 GMT

>Number:         3891
>Category:       os-windows
>Synopsis:       NT service has bad performance for client on same machine
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
When I send Apache a request for a large file (ie, 5MB), it normally takes 8-10
seconds when the client and server machines are on the same LAN.  If the client
executes on the same machine as Apache, then the request for the same 5MB file
takes ~1.1 seconds.  However, if Apache is started as an NT service, then the
same client request takes ~90 seconds.  This is also the case if Apache is
started from within a Java program using Runtime.getRuntime().exec("apache").
>How-To-Repeat:
My client program is written in Java.  The following is the relevant portion of
the client code:
                startTime = System.currentTimeMillis();

                URL url = new URL(request);
                CheckedInputStream in = new
                    CheckedInputStream(url.openStream(), new Adler32());
                while (in.read(buf, 0, BUFSIZE) != -1) {}

                endTime = System.currentTimeMillis();
                totalResponseTime += (endTime - startTime);
            } catch (ConnectException e) {
                System.err.println(e);
            } catch (MalformedURLException e) {
                System.err.println(e);