www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Rainer Scherg <Rainer.Sch...@t-online.de>
Subject apache-api/3854: apache lacks hook for output stream "filter" modules in api
Date Sun, 07 Feb 1999 16:29:39 GMT

>Number:         3854
>Category:       apache-api
>Synopsis:       apache lacks hook for output stream "filter" modules in api
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
Right now it's very difficult to implement a filter module in the
(http) output stream of apache. Developing a third party module, which
is able to examine - e.g. the proxy http content stream, can only be developed
by providing a simple - but version dependend - patch to the orig.
apache source code.

E.g.: a school (minors) is using apache proxy to connect to their network
to the internet. There may be a demand of filtering software to prevend
kids of viewing "harzardous" contents. The ProxyBlock directive cannot handle
the contents of html pages, only some servers in the internet.

By providing a hook into the datastream this could be handled by a better way.

IMO, the hook should call a filter function, which should be able to handle
the stream (buffer) in partial steps. The funtion should return a code which
indicates the server whether stream was modified, unmodified, or the server
has to cancel the request (blocked & reason).

I know this is a request which could lead to a very controverse discussion,
but IMO it's very usefull and will enhance apache by a powerfull feature
(e.g. build in virus scanner for proxies on exe files, etc.).

Rainer