www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Will Sargent <wsarg...@confluent.com>
Subject os-sunos/3829: After reloading servlets many times, server crash. Possible connection to DB.
Date Thu, 04 Feb 1999 07:26:23 GMT

>Number:         3829
>Category:       os-sunos
>Synopsis:       After reloading servlets many times, server crash. Possible connection
to DB.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Release:        Apache/1.3.3 (Unix)
>Environment:
running mod_perl/1.16_02, ApacheJServ/1.0b1

SunOS willow 5.6 Generic_105181-10 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10
gcc version 2.8.1
open(/dev/zero): Too many open files
libthread panic: alloc_chunk (PID: 25101 LWP 27)
stacktrace:
	ef629a24
	ef628498
	ef628234
	ef62ef0c
	ef62c114
	ef62c084
	ef725344
	ef70e6cc
	ef70e034
	ef6e33ec
	ef6e1038
	ef728ed0
	ef719e08
	ef6f2b4c
	ef6f217c
	ef70def0
	ef725234
	ef634fb8
	ef7251d0
open(/dev/zero): Too many open files
libthread panic: alloc_chunk (PID: 25101 LWP 34)
stacktrace:
	ef629a24
	ef628498
	ef628234
	ef62ef0c
	ef62ecd0
	ef627f14
	ef3b68f0
	ef628024
	0
open(/dev/zero): Too many open files
libthread panic: alloc_chunk (PID: 25101 LWP 1)
stacktrace:
	ef629a24
	ef628498
	ef628234
	ef62ef0c
	ef62c114
	ef62c084
	ef725344
	ef70e6cc
	ef70e034
	ef6e33ec
	ef6e1038
	ef728ed0
	ef719e08
	ef6f2b4c
	ef6f24f8
	ef7154e8
	107f8
	0
>How-To-Repeat:
Well, the easiest way to cause the problem is to have a bunch of servlets from
different servlet zones all connect to the database, throw out everyone, connect,
throw out, etc. until the server dies.  I dunno if it's using up all the file
descriptors or what...
>Fix:
No.  I tried increasing the ulimit, but I don't know if it worked.  I RTFMed,
and nothing even mentions this problem.