www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From "Scott Pollard" <scott.poll...@ventel.net>
Subject Re: os-windows/3800: Apache won't start -- Win98 install appears incomplete -- dirs conf modules and cgi-bin are empty
Date Sun, 31 Jan 1999 01:10:00 GMT
The following reply was made to PR os-windows/3800; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Scott Pollard" <scott.pollard@ventel.net>
To: <apache-bugdb@apache.org>, <pcs@apache.org>
Cc: <apbugs@apache.org>
Subject: Re: os-windows/3800: Apache won't start -- Win98 install appears incomplete -- dirs
conf modules and cgi-bin are empty
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 00:58:22 -0000

 Thanks for prompt reply.

 In response --

 1.. No, i did a 'typical install', not a 'custom install' and thus I did not
 exclude any 'modules'

 2.. This is a new machine --there is still 5.5 gig of disk space free -- as
 is windoze wont, it's all a C drive, but no matter

 3..  I have whatever permissions are set up for a default owner of a brand
 new machine

 4..  Installed directory -- is as defaulted by your installation wizard
  \ -> program files -> apache group -> apache -> 'whatever'

 5..  No error message was given.  Yes, it offered to [and did] display the
 'readme'.  Why should I re-install if no error is indicated -- what would
 that be expected to achieve?

 6..  Maybe the "stupid application" was Adobe Reader which I also downloaded
 at the same time then?  It runs fine, and has its registry entries set up OK
 apparently

 7.. Running in a DOS window from the full path C:\Program... etc etc  gives
 the error message "could not open document config file ...
 [..path...]httpd.conf.

 >>> I GUESS THAT MIGHT BE THE UNDERLYING PROBLEM ?? <<<

 7(a)..  but why does the start icon not contain those path parameters??

 8..  There are no registry entries for Apache, except for the download
 directory I have saved it in [HKLM isn't there at all, so I did a 'find' on
 Apache..  Is HKLM maybe an NT thing?]

 9..  Before anyone asks, the LOG file is empty.

 10..  I note there are a number of other comments and queries in the bug DB
 about Win installs failing -- just maybe there's some real problem lurking??
 And BTW -- I'm an Apache fan -- in another life I was responsible for
 starting a very successful site ( www.itv-f1.com ) running on SGI and
 Apache, so I just would like to get my Win98 site running as well !

 Onwards...

 Scott