www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From David Gilbert <dgilb...@velocet.ca>
Subject general/3763: Keepalives hang around, using up all the process slots.
Date Mon, 25 Jan 1999 20:29:35 GMT

>Number:         3763
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       Keepalives hang around, using up all the process slots.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Release:        1.3.4
>Environment:
FreeBSD 2.2.7-RELEASE

Server Version: Apache/1.3.4 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.1.8 SSLeay/0.9.0b PHP/3.0.6
Server Built: Jan 23 1999 21:33:43
API Version: 19990108:0
Run Mode: standalone
User/Group: www(71)/71
Hostname/port: www.maplecom.net:80
Daemons: start: 25    min idle: 25    max idle: 50    max: 200
Max Requests: per child: 300    keep alive: off    max per connection: 10
Threads: per child: 0
Excess requests: per child: 0
Timeouts: connection: 1200    keep-alive: 1
Server Root: /var/www
Config File: /var/www/conf/httpd.conf
PID File: logs/httpd.pid
Scoreboard File: logs/apache_runtime_status

Configuration file:
PY_LIB_DIR=/usr/local/lib/python1.5/config
PY_INC_DIR=/usr/local/include/python1.5

EXTRA_CFLAGS=-pthread
EXTRA_LDFLAGS=-pthread
EXTRA_LIBS=$(PY_LIB_DIR)/libpython1.5.a -lreadline -lncurses -lm -L/usr/local/lib -lgdbm
EXTRA_INCLUDES=-I$(PY_INC_DIR)
EXTRA_DEPS=

#CC=
#CPP=
#OPTIM=
#RANLIB=
Rule SHARED_CORE=default
Rule SHARED_CHAIN=default
Rule SOCKS4=no
Rule SOCKS5=no
Rule IRIXNIS=no
Rule IRIXN32=yes
Rule PARANOID=no
Rule WANTHSREGEX=default

# AddModule modules/experimental/mod_mmap_static.o

##
## Config manipulation modules
##
## mod_env sets up additional or restricted environment variables to be
## passed to CGI/SSI scripts.  It is listed first (lowest priority) since
## it does not do per-request stuff.

AddModule modules/standard/mod_env.o

##
## Request logging modules
##

AddModule modules/standard/mod_log_config.o

## Optional modules for NCSA user-agent/referer logging compatibility
## We recommend, however, that you just use the configurable access_log.

# AddModule modules/standard/mod_log_agent.o
# AddModule modules/standard/mod_log_referer.o

##
## Type checking modules
##
## mod_mime_magic determines the type of a file by examining a few bytes
## of it and testing against a database of filetype signatures.  It is
## based on the unix file(1) command.
## mod_mime maps filename extensions to content types, encodings, and
## "magic" type handlers (the latter is obsoleted by mod_actions, and
## don't confuse it with the previous module).
## mod_negotiation allows content selection based on the Accept* headers.

# AddModule modules/standard/mod_mime_magic.o
AddModule modules/standard/mod_mime.o
AddModule modules/standard/mod_negotiation.o

##
## Content delivery modules
##
## The status module allows the server to display current details about
## how well it is performing and what it is doing.  Consider also enabling
## the 'ExtendedStatus On' directive to allow full status information.
## Please note that doing so can result in a palpable performance hit.

AddModule modules/standard/mod_status.o

## The Info module displays configuration information for the server and
## all included modules. It's very useful for debugging.

AddModule modules/standard/mod_info.o

AddModule modules/extra/mod_python.o
AddModule modules/php3/libphp3.a
AddModule modules/ssl/libssl.a

## mod_include translates server-side include (SSI) statements in text files.
## mod_autoindex handles requests for directories which have no index file
## mod_dir handles requests on directories and directory index files.
## mod_cgi handles CGI scripts.

AddModule modules/standard/mod_include.o
AddModule modules/standard/mod_autoindex.o
AddModule modules/standard/mod_dir.o
AddModule modules/standard/mod_cgi.o

## The asis module implements ".asis" file types, which allow the embedding
## of HTTP headers at the beginning of the document.  mod_imap handles internal
## imagemaps (no more cgi-bin/imagemap/!).  mod_actions is used to specify
## CGI scripts which act as "handlers" for particular files, for example to
## automatically convert every GIF to another file type.

AddModule modules/standard/mod_asis.o
AddModule modules/standard/mod_imap.o
AddModule modules/standard/mod_actions.o

#AddModule modules/throttle/mod_throttle.o

##
## URL translation modules.
##

## The Speling module attempts to correct misspellings of URLs that
## users might have entered, namely by checking capitalizations
## or by allowing up to one misspelling (character insertion / omission /
## transposition/typo). This catches the majority of misspelled requests.
## If it finds a match, a "spelling corrected" redirection is returned.

AddModule modules/standard/mod_speling.o

## The UserDir module for selecting resource directories by user name
## and a common prefix, e.g., /~<user> , /usr/web/<user> , etc.

AddModule modules/standard/mod_userdir.o

## The proxy module enables the server to act as a proxy for outside
## http and ftp services. It's not as complete as it could be yet.
## NOTE: You do not want this module UNLESS you are running a proxy;
##       it is not needed for normal (origin server) operation.

AddModule modules/proxy/libproxy.a

## The Alias module provides simple URL translation and redirection.

AddModule modules/standard/mod_alias.o

## The URL rewriting module allows for powerful URI-to-URI and
## URI-to-filename mapping using a regular expression based
## rule-controlled rewriting engine.

AddModule modules/standard/mod_rewrite.o

##
## Access control and authentication modules.
##
AddModule modules/standard/mod_access.o
AddModule modules/standard/mod_auth.o

## The anon_auth module allows for anonymous-FTP-style username/
## password authentication.

# AddModule modules/standard/mod_auth_anon.o

## db_auth and dbm_auth work with Berkeley DB files - make sure there
## is support for DBM files on your system.  You may need to grab the GNU
## "gdbm" package if not and possibly adjust EXTRA_LIBS. (This may be
## done by Configure at a later date)

AddModule modules/standard/mod_auth_dbm.o
# AddModule modules/standard/mod_auth_db.o

## "digest" implements HTTP Digest Authentication rather than the less
## secure Basic Auth used by the other modules.

AddModule modules/standard/mod_digest.o

## Optional response header manipulation modules.
##
## cern_meta mimics the behavior of the CERN web server with regards to
## metainformation files.

# AddModule modules/standard/mod_cern_meta.o

## The expires module can apply Expires: headers to resources,
## as a function of access time or modification time.

AddModule modules/standard/mod_expires.o

## The headers module can set arbitrary HTTP response headers,
## as configured in server, vhost, access.conf or .htaccess configs

AddModule modules/standard/mod_headers.o

## Miscellaneous modules
##
## mod_usertrack is the new name for mod_cookies.  This module
## uses Netscape cookies to automatically construct and log
## click-trails from Netscape cookies, or compatible clients who
## aren't coming in via proxy.
##
## You do not need this, or any other module to allow your site
## to use Cookies.  This module is for user tracking only

AddModule modules/standard/mod_usertrack.o

## The example module, which demonstrates the use of the API.  See
## the file modules/example/README for details.  This module should
## only be used for testing -- DO NOT ENABLE IT on a production server.

# AddModule modules/example/mod_example.o

## mod_unique_id generates unique identifiers for each hit, which are
## available in the environment variable UNIQUE_ID.  It may not work on all
## systems, hence it is not included by default.

AddModule modules/standard/mod_unique_id.o

## mod_so lets you add modules to Apache without recompiling.
## This is an experimental feature at this stage and only supported
## on a subset of the platforms we generally support.
## Don't change this entry to a 'SharedModule' variant (Bootstrapping!)

#AddModule modules/standard/mod_so.o

## mod_setenvif lets you set environment variables based on the HTTP header
## fields in the request; this is useful for conditional HTML, for example.
## Since it is also used to detect buggy browsers for workarounds, it
## should be the last (highest priority) module.

AddModule modules/standard/mod_setenvif.o

Under average load, when keepalives are turned on, the server eats up process
slots leaving many processes in the "k" state until there are no more left
to service requests.  It does not generate any useful log information.
>How-To-Repeat:
I can make a server and a build tree available to anyone who would like to
fix things, but the config file above should be a good start.  I can also
make available the versions of all the modules I used.
>Fix:
None