www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Roger D Pack <roger.p...@juno.com>
Subject Re: os-windows/3744: directory names that end in backslash do not work
Date Sat, 23 Jan 1999 06:10:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR os-windows/3744; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Roger D Pack <roger.pack@juno.com>
To: marc@apache.org
Cc: apbugs@apache.org
Subject: Re: os-windows/3744: directory names that end in backslash do
	not work
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 21:47:58 -0700

 <VirtualHost _default_:*>
         DocumentRoot d:\Progra~1/apache~1/
 	ServerAdmin webmaster@none.com
         ServerName All_Other_Entries
 </VirtualHost>

 (documentroot is the directive in question)

 Notice how I can mix and match \'s and /'s and the above works.  When set
         DocumentRoot d:\Progra~1/apache~1\

 it yields
 Syntax error on line 813 of d:\PROGRA~1\APACHE~1\APACHE/conf/httpd.conf:
 DocumentRoot takes one argument, Root directory of the document tree

 It also works fine with
          DocumentRoot d:\Progra~1/apache~1
 (no slash)

 If I put quotes (" ") around the directory name and have the backslash at
 the end then apache boots (no error), but when I access the web site it
 says

 Forbidden

 Apache/1.3.4 Server at All_Other_Entries Port 80

 N.B. It says in httpd.conf that
 # NOTE: Where filenames are specified, you must use forward slashes
 # instead of backslashes (e.g., "c:/apache" instead of "c:\apache").
 but it seems that you can use backslashes--just not at the end.

 >Please give an exact example of a directive being used and
 >the exact error message it generates.

 or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]