www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: os-solaris/3749: Apparent memory leak +httpd processes that refuse to die
Date Fri, 22 Jan 1999 18:30:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR os-solaris/3749; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To: "T. V. Raman" <raman@Adobe.COM>
Cc: Apache bugs database <apbugs@apache.org>
Subject: Re: os-solaris/3749: Apparent memory leak +httpd processes that
 refuse to die
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 10:30:01 -0800 (PST)

 On Fri, 22 Jan 1999, T. V. Raman wrote:

 >     marc> Synopsis: Apparent memory leak +httpd processes
 >     marc> that refuse to die
 > Wow-- first off, thanks for the instantaneous response.
 > (wish I get a similar response from the folks responsible
 >      for solaris:-)
 > The reason I reported this as an Apache bug:
 >
 > 1)   When the novell servers dont respond via NFS --and the
 >      connecting WWW client goes away,
 > Solaris/Apache continues to wait for the NFS system to
 >      respond --this is possibly buggy behavior on Solaris'
 >      part
 >
 > On the apache side, the problem is that the httpd processes
 > that get stuck in this way dont die
 > and continue to consume resources.

 The Apache process can't do anything until the blocking IO function that
 it is calling completes.  When that happens, depends on the OS.  By
 default, NFS is (properly) quite "good" about never giving an error but
 just keeping retrying until it works properly.  This is necessary in the
 general case to avoid unnecessary data loss due to temporary
 disconnections.

 If the mounts are primarily being used to serve files to the web, then
 this may not be necessary.  You may want to configure your mounts to give
 an error more quickly.  See the mount_nfs man page for options like soft,
 intr, timeo, and retrans.

 What resources do the Apache processes continue to consume?  What does a
 truss on one of the hung processes show?