www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Eugene Blanchard <blanc...@cadvision.com>
Subject general/3618: can't use .htaccess authentication with ~user. .htaccess is totally ignored.
Date Mon, 04 Jan 1999 07:31:49 GMT

>Number:         3618
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       can't use .htaccess authentication with ~user. .htaccess is totally ignored.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
I am trying to authenticate users in ~user directory and subdirectories.
.htaccess works with htdocs sub-directories fine.

Unfortunately, have full access to files in ~user directory with
.htaccess present. It appears to be ignored by webserver.

When parent directory /home is set to "allowoverride authtype" in access.conf,
(I copied htdocs configuration which works and changed the directory path)
I get permission denied to access ~user even though ALL permissions in ~user
and /home are set are to 755. Can access file directly through web browser by
openning files.
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
Is this a problem with restricting access to the root directory /?
Apache can't see /home even though it's configured in access.conf:

<Directory />
Options FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride None
</Directory>