www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From "T. V. Raman" <ra...@Adobe.COM>
Subject Re: os-solaris/3749: Apparent memory leak +httpd processes that refuse to die
Date Fri, 22 Jan 1999 18:18:47 GMT
>>>>> "marc" == marc  <marc@apache.org> writes:

    marc> Synopsis: Apparent memory leak +httpd processes
    marc> that refuse to die
Wow-- first off, thanks for the instantaneous response.
(wish I get a similar response from the folks responsible
     for solaris:-)
The reason I reported this as an Apache bug:

1)   When the novell servers dont respond via NFS --and the
     connecting WWW client goes away,
Solaris/Apache continues to wait for the NFS system to
     respond --this is possibly buggy behavior on Solaris'
     part

On the apache side, the problem is that the httpd processes
that get stuck in this way dont die
and continue to consume resources.

The combination of the above is to bring solaris to its
knees *very very* quickly.

    marc> State-Changed-From-To: open-feedback
    marc> State-Changed-By: marc State-Changed-When: Fri Jan
    marc> 22 10:12:11 PST 1999 State-Changed-Why: Why do you
    marc> think this is an Apache problem?  If your OS is
    marc> not letting Apache read from the files it is
    marc> trying to serve, what do you expect Apache to do?
    marc> From everything you have said, it appears that
    marc> Apache is simply being blocked on an operation on
    marc> an unresponsive filesystem by your OS.

--
Best Regards,
--raman

      Adobe Systems                 Tel: 1 408 536 3945   (W14-128)
      Advanced Technology Group     Fax: 1 408 537 4042
      W14-128 345 Park Avenue     Email: raman@adobe.com
      San Jose , CA 95110 -2704     Email:  raman@cs.cornell.edu
      http://labrador.corp.adobe.com/~raman/        (Adobe Intranet)
      http://cs.cornell.edu/home/raman/raman.html    (Cornell)
    Disclaimer: The opinions expressed are my own and in no way should be taken
as representative of my employer, Adobe Systems Inc.