www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Dirk-WIllem van Gulik <Dirk.vanGu...@jrc.it>
Subject Re: os-windows/3599: Apache hangs after heavy/long usage
Date Wed, 30 Dec 1998 17:00:02 GMT
The following reply was made to PR os-windows/3599; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dirk-WIllem van Gulik <Dirk.vanGulik@jrc.it>
To: etzell@mindframe.com
Cc: apbugs@hyperreal.org
Subject: Re: os-windows/3599: Apache hangs after heavy/long usage
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 16:56:41 +0100

 Steve Etzell wrote:

 > >Number:         3599
 > >Category:       os-windows
 > >Synopsis:       Apache hangs after heavy/long usage
 > >Confidential:   no
 > >Severity:       critical
 > Apache is being used with Cold Fusion to server a high traffic commerce
 > site.  This site easily saturates a T1 line with traffic.  We started
 > using apache over Netscape Enterprise 3.5.1 for performance reasons.
 > I originally configed apache with MaxRequestsPerChild set to 300000.
 > Apache hung when it hit about 30000.  I set MaxRequestsPerChild to 0
 > and the apache worked fine for about a day and a half.  It never totaly
 > hung but most people got a 'server too busy' response.  Stop and
 > start the apache process and everything was fine.

 Although this might have everything to do with Solaris libraries, rather
 than Cold Fusion; I:ve ran into much the same on Solaris 2.5 around the
 10k requests per single child. (Solaris was for us about three times as
 fast, on the same hardware) It clearly is not a memory leak; and running
 it with truss revealed it whas in the ODBC of the cold fusion module.
 Lowering
 the MaxRequestsPerChild to 2k 'solved' the issue. Interesting to note;
 it
 only
 seemed to be the number of request, not the load, or the time in which
 it
 happened
 and only when ODBC was involved. The move to solaris caused such a low
 MaxRequestsPerChild not to have any noticable impact

 Are you sure that on NT there is such an impact to warrant a high max
 request
 per child, it is there exactly to prevent this sort of resource hog
 hangs ?