www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Lars Eilebrecht <l...@apache.org>
Subject RE: general/3585: Unable to Login to Apache Web Site Via MS Proxy
Date Mon, 28 Dec 1998 01:20:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR general/3585; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Lars Eilebrecht <lars@apache.org>
To: (Apache GNATS) <apbugs@apache.org>
Cc:  Subject: RE: general/3585: Unable to Login to Apache Web Site Via MS Proxy
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 01:27:49 +0100 (CET)

 According to Thomas Talley:

 [...]
 >  Your reply does not state if there have been other reports of this problem
 >  to support to conclusion that it is "bugs in the MS proxy software".

 No I don't know of any problems/bugs regarding www authentication, but
 you said that authentication succeeds if you bypass the proxy...
 Well, basic www authentication is a simple mechanism: the server
 informs the client with a special http header that authentication is
 needed and the client requests the page again and includes an extra http
 header with the password. The proxy only needs to forward the messages,
 but if authentication fails with the MS proxy and works without the proxy
 I'm tempted to conclude that this is some kind of bug in the MS proxy.

 Since I cannot find an indication in your report that this is a bug in
 Apache I recommend that you either contact Microsoft or ask in a more
 appropriate forum (e.g. Usenet).

 Regards...
 --
 Lars Eilebrecht