www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Igor Sysoev <i...@nitek.ru>
Subject general/3592: Order of merging <DirectoryMatch ..>/<Directory ~ ...> and .htaccess
Date Sun, 27 Dec 1998 11:15:26 GMT

>Number:         3592
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       Order of merging <DirectoryMatch ..>/<Directory ~ ...> and
.htaccess
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
I used for a long time Apache 1.2.x, recently I upgraded to 1.3.3
and found one difference between 1.2.x and 1.3.3 version.

To avoid unneccasery lookups for .htaccess I used

<Directory />
  AllowOverride None
<Directory>

in 1.2.x config. Then to allow FileInfo overriding in .htaccess
in user home directories I used

<Directory ~ ^/home/.*/web>
  AllowOverride FileInfo
<Directory>

But in 1.3.3 this doesn't work.
In http://www.apache.org/docs/sections.html I found:
---------
How the sections are merged

The order of merging is:

   1.<Directory> (except regular expressions) and .htaccess
      done simultaneously (with .htaccess overriding <Directory>)
   2.<DirectoryMatch>, and <Directory> with regular expressions
   3.<Files> and <FilesMatch> done simultaneously
   4.<Location> and <LocationMatch> done simultaneously
---------

I think here is some broken logic because <DirectoryMatch ...>
and <Directory ~ ...> can be used to allow overriding
in .htaccess. But with existing merging order it can be done.

with best regads,
Igor Sysoev