www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: general/3543: .cgi and .shtml files can have /text at the end of the URL, resulting in broken links
Date Wed, 16 Dec 1998 22:10:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR general/3543; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.Coar@Golux.Com>
To: Apache bug database <apbugs@Apache.Org>
Cc:  Subject: Re: general/3543: .cgi and .shtml files can have /text at the end
	 of the URL, resulting in broken links
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 17:09:00 -0500

 Jerry Stratton wrote:

 > compensated for by adding extra code to my html pages. If the team can't
 > fix it, that's fine. I'll hack it. But to claim that it is not a bug is
 > utterly silly. It is neither proper nor expected for http://hostname/item1/
 > item2/item3 to return http://hostname/item1/ especially for .shtml files.

 I'm sorry, but you're absolutely wrong.  It makes a lot of sense
 for both parsed HTML and CGI scripts; anything following the
 name of the file itself in the URL is made available to the
 parsed HTML or CGI script through the environment variable
 PATH_INFO.  Your claim that this is silly would seem to indicate
 that you think that http://hostname/item1?abc should also return
 a 404 if there's no 'item1.shtml?abc' file.  Either claim
 indicates that you should study a little more closely how URLs
 work and are defined to work.  It really is a feature, not a bug.

 If it's not broken -- and this is not -- then there's nothing
 to fix.  And all you'll accomplish by 'hacking it' is getting
 yourself out of step with how things work on the rest of the
 Internet.

 Please check the bugdb for related reports (search for
 "path_info"), check out the URL RFC 2396, and the current
 CGI draft at
 <http://Web.Golux.Com/coar/cgi/draft-coar-cgi-v11-01-clean.html>
 --
 #ken	P-)}