www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Jerry Stratton <je...@acusd.edu>
Subject Re: general/3543: .cgi and .shtml files can have /text at the end of the URL, resulting in broken links
Date Wed, 16 Dec 1998 20:50:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR general/3543; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Jerry Stratton <jerry@acusd.edu>
To: marc@apache.org
Cc: apbugs@apache.org
Subject: Re: general/3543: .cgi and .shtml files can have /text at the end
 of the URL, resulting in broken links
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 12:48:09 -0800

 At 8:22 PM +0000 on 12/16/98, you wrote:=20

 >[In order for any reply to be added to the PR database, ]
 >[you need to include <apbugs@Apache.Org> in the Cc line ]
 >[and leave the subject line UNCHANGED.  This is not done]
 >[automatically because of the potential for mail loops. ]
 >[If you do not include this Cc, your reply may be ig-   ]
 >[nored unless you are responding to an explicit request ]
 >[from a developer.                                      ]
 >[Reply only with text; DO NOT SEND ATTACHMENTS!         ]
 >

 >Synopsis: .cgi and .shtml files can have /text at the end of the URL,=
  resulting in broken links

 >State-Changed-From-To: open-closed
 >State-Changed-By: marc
 >State-Changed-When: Wed Dec 16 12:22:37 PST 1998
 >State-Changed-Why:
 >As you were already told on comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix
 >when you posted this there, that is the proper and expected
 >behaviour.  The PATH_INFO environment varible contains
 >this extra info and it is commonly used to allow one script
 >or document to do multiple things or do things based on
 >parameters.

 I was told no such thing on ciwsu; I was told that this bug could be=
  compensated for by adding extra code to my html pages. If the team can't=
  fix it, that's fine. I'll hack it. But to claim that it is not a bug is=
  utterly silly. It is neither proper nor expected for http://hostname/item1/=
 item2/item3 to return http://hostname/item1/ especially for .shtml files.

 Jerry
 jerry@acusd.edu                                           http://www.acusd.e=
 du/~jerry/
 "It's too bad we don't have a can to listen to to get back to San Diego,"=
  said Voniece. "What do we make in San Diego, anyway?"
 "Tourists, I think," said Arthur. He brightened. "Do they sell tourists in c=
 ans?"
 "I think they do," said Voniece, "but they're awfully expensive."
 --The Shopping Cart Graveyard