www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Jerry Stratton <je...@acusd.edu>
Subject general/3543: .cgi and .shtml files can have /text at the end of the URL, resulting in broken links
Date Wed, 16 Dec 1998 20:18:40 GMT

>Number:         3543
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       .cgi and .shtml files can have /text at the end of the URL, resulting
in broken links
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
When a browser requests an AddHandler-handled file (.cgi, .shtml), and the
user or the web page they're coming from has erroneously added a trailing
slash and possibly other characters, an error 404 is *not* generated. The
page is passed to the browser as if the trailing slash and anything beyond
it didn't exist. This means that any relative links on the page stop
working.

Example:

http://www.acusd.edu/ac/classes/sched.shtml/
http://www.acusd.edu/ac/classes/sched.shtml/blahblahblah

will serve the sched.shtml page, working almost fine: except that the
locally-stored image does not load, because the browser (correctly)
requests an image in the ".../sched.shtml/" directory--which of course
doesn't exist. And any local links simply come right back to the
sched.shtml page.

Another server I use that runs Apache 1.2b11 also exhibits this behavior.
http://www.acusd.edu/ac/classes/sched.shtml/thisfiledontexist
http://www.hoboes.com/jerry/Gallery/Legos.shtml/thisonedontneither