www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Darrel Earhart <orion...@yahoo.com>
Subject mod_log-any/3537: Access_log logging strange 'undefined' entries
Date Tue, 15 Dec 1998 15:50:41 GMT

>Number:         3537
>Category:       mod_log-any
>Synopsis:       Access_log logging strange 'undefined' entries
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
I've had this problem with both Apache and NCSA HTTPD1.3 web servers. The access
_log logs an entry similar to this:
machine.domain.whatever - - [07/Dec/1998:13:12:40 -0500] "GET /undefined HTTP/1.0" 404 -

These entries are beginning to flood the access_log, going into the hundreds of thousands.

What is causing this "/undefined" or "/null" entry? And what makes it strange is that
the log entries happen within seconds of eachother during times when no one is on the machine.

>How-To-Repeat:
Don't know -- on an intranet.
>Fix:
I know it can't be someone going to documents that are simply not there, it wouldn't
produce such an entry.And I know that the time pattern, although close, is not 100% consistent.