www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Suso <s...@suso.eigenmann.indiana.edu>
Subject mod_autoindex/3529: HeaderName and ReadmeName directives don't work intuitively
Date Sun, 13 Dec 1998 19:50:13 GMT

>Number:         3529
>Category:       mod_autoindex
>Synopsis:       HeaderName and ReadmeName directives don't work intuitively
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
I've seen this problem brought up a couple of times in the Bugtraq datbase and
I'd like to suggest my solution.

 The problem is that using the HeaderName and ReadmeName directives doesn't
seem to follow with the format of other directives. It's hard to tell that
the directives actually specify a prefix filename rather than a full filename
in most cases. It took me a moment to figure out that I needed to call the file
in the directory that I wanted indexed 'HEADER.html'.

  One other previously brought up problem is that you can't get server side
parsed files to work. For instance a .php3 or .shtml file.
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
I think that the HeaderName and ReadmeName directives should work like the
DirectoryIndex directive does. They should take multiple arguements and use the
first matched file in the list. So if I wanted it to search for plain text files
followed by regular HTML files followed by PHP files I could put something like
this in for the directive:

HeaderName HEADER HEADER.html HEADER.phtml

I'm not sure if there are any plans for some kind of index templete file, but
this should hold most people over til then, and be easy enough to impletement.
Please make sure that SSI and PHP files are parsed when being used as a header
before releasing this feature, thanks.

  -- Suso

ps. a FooterName directive for a footer include file would be nice too. ;-)