www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Matthew Soffen <msof...@iso-ne.com>
Subject os-irix/3522: Directory listings messed up (showing random data from memory).
Date Thu, 10 Dec 1998 19:01:44 GMT

>Number:         3522
>Category:       os-irix
>Synopsis:       Directory listings messed up (showing random data from memory).
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Release:        Apache 1.3.3
>Environment:
Standard C Compiler
IRIX64 mis1 6.4 02121744 IP27

It was compiled with standard options for irix/sgi (I didn't change anything)
Instead of generating a simple link for a page, it is getting additional data.
<LI><A HREF="MA_AGC_ISO_1998110301_19981105130435.CSV.gz"> MA_AGC_ISO_1998110301_19981105130435.CSV.gz</A>s/participant/50051/MA/README

The BIGGEST security problem is that occasionally it gets data from /etc/passwd and displays
it all (including
the encrypted passwords).
>How-To-Repeat:
Have a directory with over 1000 files.  I unfortunatly can't supply you with a
URL (its behind firewalls and is confidential information).
>Fix:
I was able to track the bug into the function output_directories (/modules/standard/mod_autoindex.c)
and have currently kludged a fix to it.  The problem appears to be when the function
ap_rvputs(r, "<LI><A HREF=\"", anchor, "\"> ", t2, "</A>", pad, NULL); is
called.  The pad
function. The pad variable has random garbage from RAM inserted into it (at least for non-fancy
indexing).
For my quick fix, I explicitly told it to use a " " when it was not fancy indexing
instead of the pad with bogus data.
            ap_rvputs(r, "<LI><A HREF=\"", anchor, "\"> ", t2,
                      "</A>", (autoindex_opts & FANCY_INDEXING) ? pad : " ", NULL);

The fix should be to ensure that any/all places that pad is used that it gets initialized
to '\0's.